Blog Archive

Sunday, October 11, 2015

My College Life (Vocab. #2)

Hey guys, I’m back again, this time with a whole new set of vocab words from the NYTimes. Before we jump right into those though, let’s do some Haiku Review to remind us about what happened last week. Haiku Review is something that I just thought of, and I think that it will be great to help refresh our minds of last week’s post. I might also do this with the other posts too. It’s so simple that even you can do one too. Here’s the concept: I will write a haiku or two about last week’s post, just to make it more interesting and engage the audience a little bit. I might tweek it now and then, but that was the main concept. Alright, let’s go!

Haiku Review (My Last Meal):

My last meal will have
Lots of fruit and chips, NO DIPS
And peanut butter

While spaghetti will
Take first place, hamburgers will
Be a close second

I’m sure that you have
Forgotten the first haiku
Please read it again

Ahh, that was fun indeed! You can even create your own haiku too. I recommend that it should be about MY last meal, but you can do whatever you want with it. Anyway, moving on to different matters, here are some various terms that I came across while reading the NYTimes. As always, the definition will be listed as well.


Terms: Definitions

Arbitration: The use of an arbitrator to settle a dispute. Noun. Similar to Judge
Altercation: An argument or disagreement, especially in public. Noun. Similar to Quarrel
Grievance: A cause for complaint or protest. Noun. Similar to Injustice
Arbitrators: An independent person appointed to settle a dispute. Noun. Similar to Judge
Egregious: Outstandingly bad, shocking. Adj. Similar to Appalling
Precedents: An earlier event that is used as an example for similar circumstances. Noun. Similar to model
Affidavit: Written statement confirmed by oath, to use as evidence in court. Noun. Similar to Grist
Litigation: The process of taking legal action. Noun. Similar to lawsuit
Onerous: Of a task involving an amount of effort that is burdensome. Adj. Similar to Arduous.
Altruism: Helping/being selfless to others for their well being. Noun. Similar to Kindness
Fiscal: Relating to government revenue. Adj. Similar to budgetary.
Contentious: Likely to cause an argument. Adj. Similar to Controversial
Tenacity: The act of being able to grip something firmly. Noun. Similar to perseverance.
Stringent: Strict, precise and exacting. Adj. Similar to Rigid
Obstreperous: Noisy/difficult to control. Adj. Similar to Unruly
Satiate: Satisfied to the full. Adj. Similar to Satisfy
Sectarian: Denoting or concerning a sect or sects. Adj. Similar to factional

Ok, that was quite a few indeed. The word that threw me for a loop was obstreperous. When I read that in the paper, I immediately circled it, and said now that will go into my blog post for sure. Anyway, I was thinking of a writing prompt, when last night (Oct. 10th.) the discussion at the table turned into what are you going to do after college. As always, I have to use at least half of the words listed above. Anyway, let's get on with it. My Post College Life.

The other night, while we were having burgers (We really were) for dinner, my mother had the mettle (last week's word) to bring up the subject of colleges and where would we go from there. The reason I say had the mettle is because whenever we discuss things like this, they are contentious for our family. We never get to the end of the discussion without causing a fight. My mother always knows this, and tries to use precedents to remind us to not fight. "Now I know that this might cause an argument, (like last time) but please do your best to stay peaceful”. No matter what she tells us though, we usually end up fighting. This time though, we managed to get through without an altercation. We talked about what colleges we would want to go to, and what we would do for a living later on. Instead of onerously recapping that long conversation, I decided it would be fun to change the perspective of the story and tell it from my viewpoint, but twenty years from now. So this whole paragraph is basically the prelude to the writing prompt. So now, here we go. My College Life

*Disclaimer: None of things that you are about to read is real, or based off of anybody. It just so happens that I am in a music theory class in high school, but other than that, it is all made up.*

Finally! After enduring three long years at college, I finally have come to the end of my senior year. For all the folks who are eager to know, college is a mix of fun and sad times. It is really fun to have so much independence, but sad also as this is the first time that you are away from your parents for an extended period of time. For me though, it was mostly fun, as I never dwelt on those homesick thoughts. They were pushed to the back of my mind because there was so much going on. One thing that kept me busy was the fact that I was a music major. There were ten of us in this one music theory class, and the teacher was one of the most stringent people I have ever met. If you happened to miss something that he said and asked him to repeat himself, he wouldn’t, saying “You should have heard me the first time”. It didn’t help that there was this one obstreperous student who distracted all of us and made it hard to hear. Anyway, sorry to go off on a tangent like that. In general, music theory was challenging but fun.

One of my grievances (this is worthy of protest) of college life is the whole situation with the washing machines and laundry in general. Now, don’t get me wrong. I am used to doing my own laundry at home, so I am used to doing my laundry at college too. What’s wrong is the way you have to PAY to do your laundry. I am not complaining about the fact that I have to pay. I get that it uses water and electricity and you have to pay. What I am not ok with is that it is in quarters. You would think that modern day colleges would change the payment system a little bit, but NO; they keep on using quarters. Let me tell you from past experience. Putting those quarters in is HARD. The first time I went to do laundry, I didn’t even have any quarters. I looked for a place to convert dollars to quarters, but some person told me that it was on the other side of campus. So I ran over and got some quarters, but by the time I got back, all the machines were full. So I waited until one was empty, and I put my clothes in it. Now came the hard part. I was moving so quickly to get my quarters out that I accidentally sent them flying everywhere. Thankfully there was an altruistic person there who helped me collect my quarters, or else I would’ve been there for HOURS gathering my quarters. The worst part of all was that while I was collecting my quarters, another person came in and threw my clothes out and put THEIR own laundry in. I was livid, but there was nothing I could do about it because they had started the machine.

Anyway, even though I wanted to pursue a litigation against that person, I managed to calm down and walk away. Eventually I got the hang of it, and by the end of my senior year, (where I am now), I could proudly proclaim that I was a laundry pro. This may seem like a very odd thing that happened to me, but I think that it relates to college life in general. You may not get the hang of some things in college right away, but you should not get mad or angry. Instead, you should use your tenacity to get better over time. I think that may be one of the best lessons that I learned while in college: just be patient until your turn comes. No matter what though, always make the most out of college, as it is truly a once in a lifetime experience.


Well, how about that guys? I know earlier I said that it would be about post college life, but I went off on another idea. Either way, I had fun writing it, and hopefully you’ll have fun reading it as well. This concludes my second vocab post, and as always, stay tuned for the next one!

-Jack Goodenough

1 comment:

  1. This is *stellar* and wonderful.

    One quick tiny note: "I would pursue litigation" not "I would pursue a litigation."

    Excellent work.

    ReplyDelete